AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Amps Preamps > 1311823147  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Pioneer SX-1050: worth repairing?
My Pioneer SX-1050 will cost about $350 to repair; one of the channels is shot. Is it worth it? Will it cover my Audio Physic Virgos? Its rated at 120 watts/channel. The Pioneer SX series have superb FM sensitivity; my old SX 750 can pick up college stations from my Boston suburban home; 3 high end tuners couldnt.
Mythtrip  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-27-11
  Responses (1-18 of 18)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

07-27-11   I would fix it!   Thesoundhouse

07-27-11   If it were me, i guess it come down to these questions i wou ...   Theo

07-28-11   How attached to the unit are you? does it have sentimental v ...   Tpreaves

07-28-11   I agree with tpreaves. it really comes down to how attached ...   Djohnson54

07-28-11   In my opinion, that beast is worth every dime of the $350 to ...   Paul_graham

07-28-11   Do you trust the shop who gave you the quote, or was this a ...   Blkadr

07-28-11   I would probably get fixed because it would be hard to repla ...   Rwwear

07-28-11: Ths364
A reputable shop will usually, on an older piece such as this, elect to include a complete re-cap when doing this sort of work. I had a Pioneer sx-2500 with a blown channel, and when I took it in for repair the tech said that a complete replacement of all electrolytic capacitors was advised and it would run about $300. This included a year warranty.
New caps shoould be good for ten years plus, so if you like the 1050 and can justify amortizing the expense over ten years it's really pretty cheap. Selling it with a blown channel is pretty hard to do unless someone really wants it for parts.

Ths364  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-28-11: Bobschneider
I also vote for fixing it. The SX-1050 was one from top of the line in what many think were the best built receiver series Pioneer ever made. I have it's big brother the SX-1250 which I fully recapped, and its a very nice receiver.

If you go to the AK board, they have a Pioneer section. The folks there can reccomend some good techs who specialize in vintage Pioneer - there'a guy called Mark the Fixer who has a very good reputation (I've never used him, but I've met him and he seems like a straight shooter).

Bobschneider  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-28-11   I think its good to have different opinions from different r ...   Singleendedsingle

07-28-11: Loomisjohnson
i like this pioneer series alot, but i'd be hesitant to drop $350 on a repair. repairs of 70s receivers is always kinda iffy--i've had some bad luck w/channel imbalances--and working units seem to go for around $400-450 on ebay (the less powerful, but also excellent models of the same series are much cheaper). you might consider selling yours as a fixer-upper and getting a fully operational unit.
Loomisjohnson  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-28-11: Rrog
It is more a question of, can it be repaired properly? Who is going to match the parts being replaced like Pioneer did when your receiver was originally manufactured. It is not likely your Pioneer receiver will sound as good after the repair. Also, even though the SX-1050 is rated at 120 watts, it was designed for high efficiency 8 ohm speakers. Therefore it is not a good match for your 4 ohm Audio Physic Virgos. It will play the Virgos, but it will not sound it's best doing it.
Rrog  (Answers | This Thread)

07-28-11   I saw one unit priced around $300 on good condition. if you' ...   Rex44

07-28-11   I usually go for the cheaper o[ption.   Avguygeorge

08-02-11: Prefab
The Pioneer SX-1050 is an outstanding receiver that will outperform any new unit under 2K. It is well worth a full restoration. They are not that complicated and any competent tech should be able to do the job. Audio Karma is an excellent resource for finding techs who know vintage audio well.

Also, I believe a well recapped Pioneer should sound better than new. Capacitor technology has only improved. Compared to ARC and EAR pieces in my collection the Pioneer holds it's own.

Prefab  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-02-11: Rwwear
Check this out:
PIONEER-SX-1050-AND-OTHERS-/360088909547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53d6f8b6eb>COMPLETE-RESTORATION-PIONEER-SX-1050

Rwwear  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-02-11   If it's in great shape physically / cosmetically, i'd have i ...   Nrenter

11-18-14   Unqualified yes, unless there's an unobtainium issue. one o ...   Ricktpt

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password