Auto-calibration

Is this necessary, given that my surround speakers need to be placed a fair distance behind the listening/viewing position due to room constraints?

And if not, how can I then easily calibrate the speakers in terms of sound volume?

I just learned that the new Classe SSP-800, which I have on order, will not have this feature, even though it is included in both the much less expensive SSP-300 and SSP-600.
merlinus
I have found that precise equalization of volume from front and surround speakers using the test signal usually included in multichannel equipment is a waste of time. Relative volume on a multichannel disc is at the discretion of the mix engineer, and I don't always agree with him. So, after adjusting for equal volume, when necessary I tweek things up by ear for each disc. My system has gain pots (volume control)on the electronic crossovers for the front channels, so it is easy to do this. (I tweek the SW/Main crossover frequency also, but that's another issue).
Thanks for the response. The Classe processors do not have manual volume controls, so your approach would be difficult.

Also, it seems like a royal pita to do this for every film I want to watch, which is when I would be using the surround speakers.
My latest receicer comes with a cal. mic.--I never opened it up. Only because I liked the default setting. I just bumped up the center a taste.--I think this calebration is like salting ones food at a rest; before you taste it.
"My latest receicer comes with a cal. mic.--I never opened it up. Only because I liked the default setting. I just bumped up the center a taste.--I think this calebration is like salting ones food at a rest; before you taste it."

I would think of it the other way around. Accepting the uniform settings as default is accepting a random flavoring imposed by the setup/room which is rarely ever innocuous. I would rather calibrate it correctly and, if that's too bland for you, flavor to taste.
If you don't trust your ears to get an accurate SPL calibration: You can pick up an inexpensive, hand-held SPL meter at any electronics store, or (ugh) Radio Shack. Simply hold it up close to where your head is when you're watching movies, and adjust all the channels for the same reading. Here's a website with more details:(http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/How-To-Calibrate-Your-Surround-Sytem-Using-an-SPL-Meter/;jsessionid=20C6D30E4AA3F9F0885C8C49BF904011?page=2)
I guess one man's ceiling is another man's floor,huh. I don't do HT with the same zest as 2ch. To me; good enough is good enough. To me the new Dolby-True and DTS ma and such are such an improvement;I can't find the need for closer calibration.