Nagra Service?

Unfortunately, i have some sort of short in one of my Nagra VPA monoblocks. Anyone in the US or Canada know where I could get 'local' service, instead of footing the bill all the way to Switzerland? The Nagra USA people apparently have yet to get a tech trained to do local service.

ARGGHHHHH!!!
artg
Art, So wouldn't that be more like NAGRAHHHHH!!! till you get them back up and running? Sorry I couldn't resist ;0)~
Why not check with the former importer Audiophile Systems and see if they have a trained tech? You can find them right on here, I noticed them selling off a few Nagra demo pieces today, just shoot them an email, it can't hurt. Good luck!
can you explain as to some kind of short, if the bias is out they shut down automatically, have you been using KR tubes.
Artg: A possibility for you is to find someone local to you, who is qualified to work on tube gear and ask the Nagra USA folks if they would authorize your repair guy to do the warranty work. In many cases they would prefer it as they generally are required to pay the shipping back to you.

Good Luck!
Hi Art,

Dimexs in Montreal is the Canadian Nagra distributor and they have qualified techs (http://www.dimexs.com/). If your amps are out of warranty it might be better to have an experienced local tech have a look at the amps. In any event, you're in for a wallet-lightening experience. By the way, how did you blow them?
GREAT NEWS. Nagra USA has fixed my amp, for a grand total of $220 - hardly a 'wallet-lightening experience'!

More importantly for all of you, they have enlisted a very experienced and friendly technician (whose been working on McIntosh gear for many years) to go to Switzerland to get in-depth training at the factory, and who would obviously have full access to and supoort from the engineers in Switzerland.

So all us Nagra US devotees need not work about service issues in the future. WHEW!
Artg,

Would you mind telling us who fixed it and what the problem was? Good to hear you're back to enjoying your system. Thanks.

Cheers
Hi - It was a ffairly straight forward repair once it was diagnosed, two resistor failed. The guy's name is Steve George, and as I mentioned he's now the authorized Nagra repair person for the US. I was referred to him by Nancy Belt from Nagra USA.
Once again - anone in the US needing Nagra-authorized service on their gear, this is the contact information -
Steve George is the contact:

Trew Audio USA
220 Great Circle Road, Suite 116
Nashville,TN 37228-1798
Toll-Free: 800-241-8994
In Nashville: 615-256-3542
Hi,

It's Steve George, Service Manager/lead tech at Trew Audio. Just wanting to add a few Swiss Franc's to artg's greatful blurb: Nagra Switzerland had us reimburse Mr. artg his labor and parts as this was to have been covered under Warranty (even though he bought the amps used! In fact, all KR Tube damaged VPA's are to be covered). We were then reimbursed by Nagra.

This is a dream come true for me here. For the past 5 years we were a well known Nagra Professional repair center, but their HiFi gear was out of reach (and out of our mission statement), but so much has changed in the Pro Audio world (what's there to repair on a Hard disk recorder?), so we have branched out into Ultra Hi Fi. Now I get paid to do my hobby!

Steve George
Trew Audio
www.trewaudio.com
McIntosh and Nagra Pro/Nagra HiFi Service
(800) 241-8994